Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hitting the Go-Kart Track in Sycamore, IL

Ranking: Value - 3 out of 5 Dad Fun Factor - 5 out of 5 Kid Fun Factor - 5 out of 5

Nothing, but nothing, beats a racing go-karts. Here's the back story. We were on vacation a few months back in New England visiting the in-laws. My older little man, Jack, saw a go-kart track while we drove around and just had to try it. The weather didn't cooperate and we didn't get to it. I promised we would do it when we got home and I'm a man of my word. So I started doing some research and came across Sycamore Family Sports Center. It's way off the beaten path unless you live near it. I'm sure there are closer kart tracks to the city but not any I could find around me. So we drove the 30 minutes through the rolling hills and found it. I have to admit I wasn't really expecting much and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a combo go-kart track, mini golf, driving range, and batting cage complex. We went to drive but I wasn't up for many laps when one "race" was close to a matinee at the movies. Not cheap. But the key was that the karts come in single and double seat configuration. For me, and my 4 year old, we could not share better thrill time. He loved it and I had a blast. He isn't able to reach the pedals so I did all of the driving but he was cool with that. We're going to go back. I can't wait. I just have to find the right excuse with the Mrs. My recommendation is to give it a try.

Here are a few other things I noticed. The mini golf course is pretty cool. It's perfect for the little guys. It's not the moving windmill style so I think you can do a little better but not right next to the Kart track. And it's reasonably priced. The driving range is well maintained and does the job. We watched a coach doing his thing with a Little Leaguer in the batting cages. It was cool for my son who's starting to get into baseball and football (thank god!). So, long post short, I give Sycamore a thumbs up. We'll be back soon.

If you want to see some pics and their hours take a look at their site. It's pretty lame but I'm sure they are going to get around to something better eventually: http://www.sycamorefun.com/

No comments: